Luxury yacht charters provide many unforgettable experiences: Incredible service, luxury accommodations, beautiful destinations, and of course, outstanding food. For many charter guests, in fact, the culinary experience is reason enough to book a charter.
Here’s why: Galleys on superyachts are managed by some of the world’s most innovative chefs. These culinary masterminds are prepared to wow guests with every dinner service, beach picnic, and snack (while keeping it all according to your preferences).
Next time you book a luxury yacht charter: Check who’s running the galley. A talented chef will make your vacation all the more memorable, leave you and your guests raving about the food, and surprise and delight you with unique dishes on the high seas.
Which New England charter yachts have the best chefs? Although you’ll find an incredible chef aboard almost any superyacht, these three award-winning chefs – which won the top three spots at the Newport Yacht Show Chef Competition – take things to the next level.
Newport Yacht Charter Show: Chef Competition
Each year, the Newport Charter Yacht Show hosts a Chef Competition, putting the industry’s best onboard chefs head-to-head for the title of best charter yacht chef.
This year, the competition’s theme was “desserts,” with participants asked to make their best, show-stopping sweet treats. Yet, not only were participants judged on taste, they also had to make dishes that fit into special dietary requirements (including Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Paleo).
During the competition, each chef worked aboard their own ship for prep, and plated for judges at the competition pavilion. Judges for the competition included Robert Bowden from Vivere Chocolate, Kevin Des Chenes, from Food Network, Kitty McGowan, of the Superyacht Association, and Liz Nittmann, and competitors were judged on taste, presentation, creativity, table presentation, and incorporation of special dietary restrictions. This year, it was a photo finish, with just a few points separating the top three spots.
Out of the 10 participants, three were named winners, including:
- First: Carolina Velandia of 198-foot BLUE MOON
- Second: Terry Gatewood of 123-foot TEMPTATION
- Third: Gaylinn Fast of 120-foot LADY VICTORIA
A Closer Look at This Year’s Best Chefs
These chefs are renowned for their innovative menus, and delightful dishes. And they’re favorites of foodie yacht charter guests in New England.
We wanted to give you a closer look at each of the winners, highlight their background and culinary inspiration, as well as the superyachts where you’ll find them. Here’s a look at the top three from this year’s competition:
1. Carolina Velandia
Head chef Carolina has been wowing charter guests aboard BLUE MOON for six years, and has spent a decade in the yachting industry. Known affectionately as “Karo,” Carolina trained at Chef Esgant School in Colombia, and she’s honed her craft while traveling around the world.
Her cooking style brings in many different skills and culinary influences, including Latin flavors and traditional techniques. Yet, Karo is passionate about developing custom menus that draw inspiration from the destinations on the charter’s itinerary. Bottom line, BLUE MOON is the superyacht for foodies, and a trip with Chef Karo in the galley is guaranteed to surprise and delight guests.
- Winning Dish: Picante Sao Tome Chocolate Tofu Mousse. Chef Valendia’s dish was both lactose- and gluten-free, and featured a spice-infused chocolate mousse, passion fruit curd, and Moscato jelly cubes.
- About BLUE MOON: The 198-foot BLUE MOON is a boutique hotel on the high seas. With exquisite and spacious interiors, designed by Feadship, and an abundance of luxury amenities (guest gym, elevator, and onboard WiFi), the ship offers the best in New England cruising. BLUE MOON includes six staterooms, with accommodations for up to 12 guests, as well as a beautifully appointed deck lounge and Portuguese Bridge.
2. Terry Gatewood
Chef Terry Gatewood worked in some of the top kitchens in the country, and now manages the galley aboard TEMPTATION. He graduated from the prestigious Johnson & Wales, and went on to work at Charlie Trotter’s in Chicago and the Miami Ritz Carlton. In the past, Gatewood also worked as sous chef for Emeril Lagasse. Gatewood brings many culinary influences into the galley. He’s capable of wowing guests with “down home” Southern-inspired cuisine, or putting together show-stopping elegant dinner parties. As a chef, Gatewood considers food an art, and that’s on display during every dinner service.
- Winning Dish: Lemon Blueberry Posset. Gatewood’s dish incorporated traditional ingredients and was used as a sleep aid in the 15th Century.
- About TEMPTATION: Refit in 2017, TEMPTATION is a stunning 123-foot tri-deck Palmer Johnson motor yacht that features a contemporary beach-inspired aesthetic. The Aft Deck, perfect for dinners, is comfortable with 360-degree views, while the spacious salon offers the perfect area for relaxing onboard. The yacht features four cabins, including a gorgeous master stateroom, and up top, you’ll find the yacht’s sundeck (with Jacuzzi).
3. Gaylinn Fast
For the last five years, Chef Gaylinn Fast has wowed guests aboard both private and charter yachts, including CHERISH II and GO. Currently, she manages the galley aboard LADY VICTORIA. Fast has a long career in the hospitality industry. Prior to joining the charter industry, Fast managed an event and catering company, serving clients like Martha Stewart, Victoria’s Secret and the Museum of Modern Art. As a chef, Fast is known for creating dishes that reflect her travels. She’s particularly inspired by Mediterranean and farm-to-table cooking. Aboard LADY VICTORIA, you’re in store for many of Fast’s specialties, including seasonal fresh-made juices, farm-to-table and plant-based foods, raw or gluten-free cooking, and freshly baked goods.
- Winning Dish: Acadian Woodland Trail. Fast’s dish took inspiration from Maine and simulated a terrarium. The dish included a yogurt panna cotta, chocolate biscotti, green snickerdoodles and merengue.
- About LADY VICTORIA: In 2017, the 120-foot Feadship motor yacht LADY VICTORIA underwent a refit and now features a breezy, beach house-inspired aesthetic. Inside, LADY VICTORIA’s interiors are spacious, and include a library and a stunning main salon. The yacht includes 4 staterooms, with accommodations for up to 8, as well as tons of deck space, including an open sundeck and gorgeous aft deck dining area. One unique feature: LADY VICTORIA includes a classic Riva tender.
Book A Foodie Yacht Charter Today
No matter which yacht you charter, the food will take your breath away. (And that’s certainly true aboard these three yachts.) Let us help you plan a yacht charter with one of the industry’s best chefs.
Our team has the pulse on each yacht’s onboard experience. We regularly attend yacht shows to meet with chefs and sample their food, and we have the insider’s scoop on which ones offer the best of the best. Contact your charter broker with Worldwide Boat today to learn more.