Alonissos Yacht Charters
Explore island Alonissos on your luxury yacht charter in Greece
Alonissos is located at the intersection of major sea routes and as such, was one of the first islands in the Aegean to be inhabited. There is evidence of human presence as early as 9th century BC at Cyclop’s cave as well as remnants of Neolithic settlements at the Cape of Kokkinokastro (Red Castle).
The capital of Patitiri features a gorgeous harbour with a stone-paved waterfront and occupied by luxury yachts from around the world. The Old Village, known as Hora, was the previous capital of the island. It represents a typical Greek island settlement with narrow paved streets, stone houses with picturesque courtyards, several majestic churches, and even a medieval castle with views of the sea. Be sure to take the gentle path through the towering pines that leads from Hora to the church of Ayioi Anargyroi.
Milia is home to the international Academy of Homeopathy, where the traditional undertaking of folk medicine is still practiced through the miraculous and medicinal herbs and plants that grow on Alonissos.
Things to Do and See on Alonissos
- The serene beaches of Meyalos Mourtias, Steni Vala, Milia, Chrisi Milia, and Marpounta.
- The stalactite cave at Yioura, which has been inhabited since the Mesolithic Era.
- Kyra-Panayia (or Pelayonissi), which is situated on Mount Athos. Visit the 12th century monastery, a well-preserved flour mill, a restored oil and wine press, and Planitis Bay, one of the largest natural harbours in the Mediterranean.
- Piperi, the center of the National Park where Mediterranean seals and numerous seabirds nest.
- The volcanic island of Psathoura, with the tallest lighthouse in the Aegean.