BVI Full Moon Parties
Every month, Trellis Bay on Tortola transforms into the party capital of the Caribbean. Visitors flock here for the island’s world-famous full moon parties. If you’re visiting Tortola, you can’t miss these monthly shindigs in Trellis Bay.
Since the late 1980s, Trellis Bay has hosted these moonlight festivities. Initially, the parties started by a local surfer and were hosted at Bomba’s Surfside Shack. Then the legend grew and grew.
Today, the party is hosted at multiple venues, and features live music, bonfires, fire dancers, arts & crafts, and BBQ. Thinking about planning a visit to Trellis Bay? This guide covers everything you need to know about the area’s Full Moon Parties.
BVI Full Moon Parties: When to Go
Almost all of the beach businesses in Trellis, including the beach bars like the Loose Mongoose and the Trellis Bay Bar & Grill offer events each month. These parties monthly, whenever the full moon is. Here’s the 2021-22 schedule:
- July 23, 2021
- August 22, 2021
- September 20, 2021
- October 20, 2021
- November 19, 2021
- December 18, 2021
- January 17, 2022
- February 16, 2022
- March 18, 2022
- April 16, 2022
- May 15, 2022
- June 14, 2022
- July 13, 2022
- August 12, 2022
- September 10, 2022
- October 9, 2022
- November 8, 2022
- December 7, 2022
Where to Go: What Venues Host Events?
The Trellis Bay Full Moon Parties are held at multiple events. But one of the key organizers is the Trellis Bay Market Bar and Grill. This market and restaurant regularly host events on the beach, and it’s a cultural hub for the area. Other participating venues include:
- Loose Mongoose – This classic BVI beach bar is the spot to go for late-night dancing, classic Caribbean cocktails, and a breezy, open-air ambiance.
- Aragorn’s Studio – Local artisans make T-shirts, crafts and other artworks that are for sale during the Full Moon parties.
- Marche at Trellis Bay – This is another beachy bar that specializes in dance parties and live music.
- Jeremy’s Kitchen – A popular breakfast spot on Trellis Bay, Jeremy’s transforms on Full Moon nights, with a beach bar and live music.
In addition, you’ll find plenty of vendors selling arts & crafts during the full moon festivities in Trellis Bay.
What to Expect
The Moonlight Parties of Trellis Bay offers a wide variety of entertainment at the full moon parties, including some family-friendly activities. Yet, once the sun goes down, it’s typically a boozy affair that’s suited for adults. Most parties will feature:
- BBQ & Local Eats – Many of the restaurants of Trellis Bay offers specials during the parties, and there are also street food vendors and other food sellers.
- Live Music – A Full Moon Party wouldn’t be complete without a variety of live music. Nearly every venue hosts a live music event, in a range of genres including reggae, hip hop, rock and DJs.
- Fire Dancing – Fire dancing troupes are a common sight at Trellis Bay parties. In addition, you might see stilt walkers, acrobats, and more.
- Bonfires – After the sun goes down, a large fire is usually lit. Sometimes Aragorn’s Studio hosts a Fire Ball party, which features a large lit ball of fire.
- Arts & Crafts – Local vendors, artists and sellers hawk their wares during these monthly parties. Browse the latest artisan works.
These parties typically late into the night, and are tons of fun. Be sure you plan your visit around a Full Moon!
What to Do in Trellis Bay
- Wind Surfing – The Bay is popular among windsurfers, and offers some of the best windsurfing conditions in the British Virgin Islands. It’s great for beginners and more experienced surfers alike.
- Sea Kayaking – Trellis Bay is a great launch-off point for a kayaking adventure. Rent a single or double kayak from one of the beach rental places, and set sail.
- Aragorn’s Studio – BVI native Aragorn has been producing art in Trellis Bay since the 1980s. The metal sculptures along the beach, in fact, are Aragorn originals. Stop in the studio to see his latest wares.
- Visit Scrub Island – Scrub Island is just a short cruising distance away. Scrub Island is home to the Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina. It’s a perfect place for relaxation.
Visiting Trellis Bay on a BVI Yacht Charter
Trellis Bay is a popular stopover on a BVI yacht charter, and thanks to its location near the airport, it’s often one of the first places visitors stop. Some locations you might visit in addition to Trellis Bay include:
- Jost Van Dyke – Known for its legendary beach bars, like Foxy’s or the Soggy Dollar Bar, Jost Van Dyke is the place to be for afternoon cocktails and lounging is the sapphire blue waters.
- Virgin Gorda – Home to the natural wonder known as The Baths, Virgin Gorda is a great spot for hiking, snorkeling and exploring Devil’s Bay National Park. You’ll also want to visit North Sound, home to the Bitter End Yacht Club.
- Road Town – Tortola’s hub of shopping and commerce offers a bit of everything for visitors, including excellent food and drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Setting Point – Visit Anegada Harbour, which is home to top hotels, reef diving and snorkeling spots, and Pomato Point, a powdery beach with great sunset views.
Plan Your Visit to Trellis Bay on the Full Moon
Trellis Bay is an absolute must on your visit to the British Virgin Islands. The area is laid-back and the ultimate place for some R&R. Not to mention, the BVI full moon parties in Trellis are legendary and an experience you won’t soon forget.
Let us help you plan your dream yacht charter vacation in the British Virgin Islands. Worldwide Boat offers numerous yacht charter packages. Learn more about our options today; contact your yacht charter broker with Worldwide Boat.