Exumas Yacht Charters
Located just west of capital city Nassau, the 365 islands and cays of the Exumas are a favorite yacht charter destination in the Bahamas. The archipelago, which stretches for nearly 120 miles in the aquamarine Caribbean, offers an endless array of experiences: From exploring secluded beaches and vibrant dive sites to visiting the world-famous swimming pigs of Big Major Cay.
Bottom line, a little bit of everything awaits in the Exumas: Amazing golf courses, excellent marine wildlife parks, delectable dining options, and relaxing solitude.
Exuma Yacht Charter Highlights
- Visit the swimming pigs of Big Major Cay
- Explore uninhabited islands and pristine beaches
- Diving, snorkeling and water sports galore!
- Exciting deep-sea fishing grounds
- Crystal-clear, aquamarine waters
When to go on an Exuma charter?
You can rent a yacht in the Exumas any month of the year, although many seek out the warm weather in the Exumas during the winter. December, January and February are peak charter months, especially around Christmas and New Year’s. Yet, late spring and early summer too are also favorite times for an Exuma yacht charter.
The Exumas are blessed with amazing weather and ideal cruising conditions throughout the year. Across all seasons, temperatures remain in the mid-70s to mid-80s, with steady trade winds and mellow seas. Thanks to a moderate tidal range, just 3.5 feet, the waters of the Exumas are calm and typically hover around 80 degrees year-round.
Things to do and see in the Exumas
- Visit the Swimming Pigs at Big Major – The friendly pigs that call the beaches of Big Major Cay home are world-famous. Any yacht charter to the Exumas wouldn’t be complete without a swim with these cuddly potbellies.
- Snorkel the Thunderball Grotto – These underwater caves located near Staniel Cay were made famous by the James Bond film. Explore the vast cave network on an afternoon snorkel trip. The underwater caves are teeming with Angelfish and many other colorful species.
- Swim with Nurse Sharks at Compass Cay – The private island of Compass Cay is home to a population of resident nurse sharks. Visit the cay and take a dip with the sharks. They’ll swim right up next to you, and you can even listen to their squeaks underwater. (Yes, they squeak!)
- Visit Exuma Cays Land and Sea Park – This massive park is one of the best in the Bahamas, and it’s a must-visit outdoor playground on an Exumas charter. Snorkel, sea kayak, hike and bike your way through the reefs, uninhabited islands, and trails of the park. The park offers the best snorkeling in all of the Exumas.
- Snorkel the Sunken Plane at Norman’s Cay – Located just off the beach in Norman’s Cay, you’ll find a small single-engine plane, perfectly protected under the water. Snorkel, kayak or take a tender cruise to this must-see sight (which is believed to be a smuggling plane).
- Feed the Iguanas at Allen’s Cay – The beach-dwelling iguanas of Allen’s Cay are a sight to see. Feed them by hand right at the water’s edge, and be sure to bring your camera!
- Relax on Tropic of Cancer Beach – This hidden white-sand beach is located on Little Exuma, and its hands-down one of the most gorgeous in the region. But another reason to visit: The Tropic of Cancer cuts a line right down the middle of it.
- Try a Variety of Water Sports – The Exumas are known for their strikingly aquamarine waters, and on your crewed yacht charter, you’ll want to spend as much time in these inviting waters as possible. Sea kayaking, snorkeling, cliff diving, jet skiing, and windsurfing are all favorite Exumas pastimes.
Exumas Yacht Charter Itinerary
In a week-long Exuma sailing itinerary, you will be able to enjoy numerous water sports activities, snorkel the sunken plane, explore the Thunderball Grotto where James Bond movie was filmed, visit the famous swimming pigs and enjoy some of the most beautiful chartering grounds in the world.
A private yacht charter to the Exumas will take you to the following islands:
DAY 1: The Atlantis
DAY 2: Highbourne Cay & Allen Cay
DAY 3 & 4: Staniel Cay
DAY 5: Shroud Cay
DAY 6: Warderick Wells
DAY 7: Norman’s Cay
DAY 8: Back to Nassau
Day 1: The Atlantis
Before leaving on your private yacht for the Exumas, spend the first night at the Atlantis Marina and enjoy many wonderful activities that the Atlantis Resort offers such their marine exhibits with over 250 marine species — from dolphins and sharks to rays and barracudas. For thrill-seekers, the 141-acre Aquaventure water park has high-speed water, swimming pools, and a mile-long river ride complete with rapids and waves.
In the evening, try your luck at gambling at the Atlantis Casino or dance away in one of the vibrant nightclubs.
Day 2: Highbourne Cay & Allen Cay
An early morning cruise to the Exuma where you will stop to visit Allan Cay to see the famous iguanas that are the only inhabitants and come out on the beach to be fed. Be sure to bring some fruit along to feed these magnificent reptiles by hand.
Cruise to the small fishing village on Highbourne Cay, a privately-owned island with beautiful beaches, walking trails, and excellent snorkeling. Just off the dock, you can see nurse sharks swimming just beneath the water as they seek out bits of scraps leftover from the day’s catch. At the marina, you can enjoy some fresh-baked Bahama bread or explore the nearby pristine beach.
Day 3 & 4: Staniel Cay
There are many fun things to do around Staniel Cay on your private Exuma boat rental:
- Feed the famous swimming pigs at Big Majors. These pigs come out of the woods to the beach when they hear the motors from the tenders.
- Thunderball Cave – Great snorkel site. Named after the Bond Movie that was shot there.
- Staniel Cay Yacht Club – Nightlife, golf cart touring. A social hub of the Exumas.
- Compass Cay – a natural paradise on this 2 mile long unspoiled haven of beaches, palms, cliffs, and lagoons. There are numerous trails to walk, a creek to explore, and the ocean beach to enjoy. Don’t forget to head over by tender to feed the sharks.
- Rachel Falls – by tender – a must-do! (the weather needs to be right for this one.)
- Samson Cay – by tender – beautiful island with great beaches.)
Day 5: Shroud Cay
The crew can set you up on the beach at Shroud Cay for an all-day private beach picnic. It’s a day for some water sports and activities. The shallow tidal pools and mangroves around the cay are inhabited only sea turtles, crawfish, conch, fish, and a variety of birds. A kayak ride through the river will allow for excellent views and a serene trip. Go snorkeling at the “Sea Aquarium”, go water skiing or put the waverunners in the water.
Leaving Shroud Cay, stop at Hawksbill Cay to stroll the beautiful Half Moon beaches.
Day 6: Warderick Wells
Warderick Wells Cay is the headquarters of Exuma Cays Land & Sea Park, a marine sanctuary”, where snorkeling is spectacular. View coral reefs of breathtaking colors as well as an abundance of reef fish, lobster and conch and more.
Walk the beautiful beaches, particularly to where the skeleton of the 53-foot sperm whale still lies on the sand.
Day 7: Norman’s Cay
Norman’s Cay is a beautiful island with an intriguing history, a must-stop on a luxury yacht rental in the Exumas. From 1978 through 1982, the island was the home-base of Carlos Lehder’s drug-smuggling ring.
Here you can snorkel the sunken DC 3 aircraft, and view thousands of fish throughout the wreckage. A trip through the very shallow inside lagoon at Normans will also be exciting as you tour the famous Cocaine Cave and Conch cave.
Day 8: Back to Nassau
Leave Normans Cay early morning and return to Nassau, the bustling capital of the Bahamas for airport departure. If time permits, visit the world-famous Nassau Straw Market. It’s home to handmade Bahamian crafts, gifts, souvenirs and hand-woven straw hats, bags, mats, dolls, conch shell jewelry and wood carvings.
Children will enjoy a visit to the Pirates of Nassau Museum where they can learn about Nassau’s seafaring days, explore a replica of the pirate ship Revenge and interact with theatrical pirate hosts.
Book Your Exumas Charter with Worldwide Boat
Sharing a getaway with friends and family is one of the things that makes chartering so wonderful, but it can also make choosing a destination that will make everyone happy difficult. Luckily, The Exuma islands have a little something for everyone. The Exumas are the perfect destination for animal lovers, beach lovers, snorkelers and divers, and fearless explorers. Create memories with your loved ones on Exuma yacht charters!
Contact a broker with Worldwide Boat today to learn more about our Exumas yacht charter options.